Monday, June 30, 2014

Why is it so hard to grow zucchini?

Argh!!  This was the first thing I saw as I walked up to my zucchini and squash plants yesterday.

Yep! Squash bugs!!  I hate them and have struggled to keep them at bay the past several years.  I even found some of their eggs under a few leaves.
In the past I've tried to control them with diatomaceous earth but this year I'm trying this product.
We'll see how it does.  A few weeks ago, I identified an infestation of cumber beetles that were eating my cucumber, zucchini and squash leaves.  This organic insect killer has seemed to get rid of them.  I hope that it is as effective for the squash bugs.

I thought that zucchini would be easy to grow.  You always hear of people who get to the point that they can't even give it all away.  Well in my 6 years of gardening I've struggled with it. I'd love to have an abundant crop.  In the past I've had vine borers, powdery mildew and of course squash bugs.  I've also had trouble with pollination.  The zucchini will start to grow and then wither away because it wasn't pollinated.Yes, I've read about manually pollinating the female blossoms with the male blossoms.  I've even attempted it with some success, but really.... who has time for all that?

Anyway, I'm determined to figure out how to have an abundant crop of zucchini and yellow squash. 
 Maybe some of you can help me out.  I welcome any and all suggestions.

Wishing abundance for you in all things especially your garden! 

No comments:

Post a Comment