Saturday, June 28, 2014

Getting Started

Greetings!

Welcome to my new blog. I'm looking forward to sharing my urban gardening experiences with you.  My husband and I have worked hard to create a little urban oasis in our backyard and as it grows and develops, I'd like to pass along what I've learned and hopefully inspire others to take advantage of all the abundance that can be achieved from gardening even if you only have a small amount of space. 

This year I have 3 raised beds for my vegetable gardening. The pictures of these beds were taken in May just after everything was planted.  They look much different now.  In the 3 beds I have lettuce, cilantro, cucumbers, sugar snap peas, zucchini, yellow summer squash, garlic, bell pepper, jalapeno, Good Mother Stallard beans, Tiger Eye beans, red potatoes, white potatoes and 7 varieties of tomatoes. 

The 3 pots that you see have basil, oregano, calendula, dill and sage growing in them. 


This garden bed, was our new addition this year.  It was a long neglected perennial bed that needed some attention.  So we  enlarged it and added the to raised planters.  My intention is for it to become my herb garden.  I got a good start with that this year but I look forward to adding more herbs in the future. Currently, I have sage, lavender, comfrey, arnica, feverfew, oregano, rosemary, German chamomile, yarrow & evening primrose growing.  Several of the herbs were started from seed this spring.  The rest were purchased at a local nursery.  I look forward to seeing what does well in this location.  


I'm loving my herbs.  They each have wonderful aromas.  I just walk past each one of them touching them and smelling the scent that they leave on my hands.  I may even pick a leaf or two to smell.  It's fun introducing others to them, too. 

Six years ago I started gardening with just one raised bed.  Since that time my passion and love for it has grown.  I love the challenge and the results.  It's so satisfying to eat the fruits of your labor.  I hope that I can share some of my passion and inspire you start a garden of your own if you don't already have one.  I'm not an expert but I'll share what I know.  Hopefully, you'll do the same.

Blessings!


No comments:

Post a Comment